Monday, January 5, 2015

It Was 47 Years Ago, Today.....


Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play....

O.k, maybe not...

Anyway, on this day, 47 years ago, I came into this world a bouncing bundle of huge cranium, fat cheeks, and small feet. 

My feet and cheeks have proportioned themselves, though I still sport the big cranium.

Being only ten days after Christmas, my birthday has never been a big 'to-do' in my life. When I was a kid, I'd get a cake and a few presents, not much fanfare. I guess my parents started feeling a little guilty as I grew into a teen, because my mom (every year, without fail) would ask if I wanted a party. Which, for the record, I never did.

As I matured (somewhat) into adulthood, it became a time to gather with friends, eat, celebrate hanging in there another year, and stuff like that.

These days, it's about spending it with my wife. We've been together about six years and they've been six of the best in my life. Coming from a guy who, at 40 years old, was resigned to living a bachelor's life for the rest of his days, that's a pretty amazing statement. 

Not that I ever had anything against marriage, I just didn't think it was for me. I didn't think I was giving enough when, come to find out, I'm way more giving than I gave myself credit for. Now, before I blow my horn too loudly, I'll admit....I need some a bit of work. O.k, lots of work.

I'm getting there, though. 

The evening was spent having a relaxing dinner with some of my new, extended, family then back home for my only, official, birthday request. 

I wanted my wife to make me an out of the box Devil's Food cake. 

Which she did. And it was deeelicious!

Oh, those squiggly marks on the right side? I was told they were bats.

Yes....bats.

"She may not look like much, kid..."

My gifts from the wife were presented, thusly....



It's great to have found someone who doesn't mind indulging my whimsical side.

I thought this post was going to be more about reflecting on my past 47 years but, the more I think about it, the more I'm just going to wish for another 47 just like the past six.

Blows out the candles....



14 comments:

Dee said...

Aww what a sweet post! Wishing you more squiggly line birthday cakes to come! Happy birthday!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - Happy Birthday and how wonderful to have found a soul mate ...

Congratulations to the cake maker - home-made cakes are always delicious ...

Have a really good year .. cheers Hilary

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - then I forgot about the pretty baby! Lovely photo ..and our heads - they are amazing aren't they ... I could do with some of yours - mine is rather small!! Cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy belated birthday! Being married to someone who gets you is priceless.

Robin said...

Happy birthday! Looks like you and the wife go together nicely. ::smiles::

Maurice Mitchell said...

Awesome gifts Mark and it looks like a bat to me. I still sport the big cranium myself.

Suzanne said...

Belated happy birthday! One of my sons was born on the 30th December! When he was younger it never bothered him, we always had a family party on the day, and then, like the queen, he would have a second birthday in June for his school friends! x

S.P. Bowers said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you found your perfect match and I hope the rest of your life is just as good.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Happy Birthday Mark!!!!

ALL the best and I hope you get what you wish for!

Al Diaz said...

Awesome gift! Happy belated birthday, Mark! I hope you had a great time! Here's to another 47 years of awesomeness!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Happy birthday. I love your cake. I hit 49 next month and am hoping for a cake with Minions on it.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Belated birthday wishes. Have a wonderful 48th year ;-)

Arlee Bird said...

A better late than never happy birthday wish. And congrats on finding a good wife.

From the baby photo you look pretty much the same now as then, you little cutie.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Elizabeth Seckman said...

That is the most romantic comment ever. Another 47 seven years like the last six. Awww, that's the sweetest!!

Happy Birthday! Glad it was awesome.

PS It's always best to wait for the right one to come along- even if it takes forty years!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...